Wednesday, November 18, 2015
Monday, November 2, 2015
Sunday, November 1, 2015
Sun, Moon and Stars
a. Describe the physical attributes of stars—size, brightness, and patterns.
S2E2. Students will investigate the position of sun and moon to show patterns throughout the year.
a. Investigate the position of the sun in relation to a fixed object on earth at various times of the day.
b. Determine how the shadows change through the day by making a shadow stick or using a sundial.
c. Relate the length of the day and night to the change in seasons (for example: Days are longer than the night in the summer.).
d. Use observations and charts to record the shape of the moon for a period of time.
S2E3. Students will observe and record changes in their surroundings and infer the causes of the changes.
a. Recognize effects that occur in a specific area caused by weather, plants, animals, and/or people.
- Stars https://www.dropbox.com/s/y6wbniqxmoyzkci/Stars%5B1%5D.ppt?dl=0
- Light and Shadows Investigation: http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/scienceclips/ages/7_8/light_shadows.shtml
- Kids Astronomy: http://www.kidsastronomy.com/stars.htm
- Stars & Constellations: http://www.kidskonnect.com/subjectindex/15-educational/science/102-star-a-constellations.html
- NASA for Kids: http://www.nasa.gov/audience/forstudents/k-4/index.html
- Sun, Moon and Stars Activity - Wednesday, November 4, 2015 from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the South Cobb Library located at 805 Clay Road, Mableton, GA 30126
- Show and Tell & Sun, Moon and Stars Activity - Wednesday, November 18, 2015 from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the South Cobb Library located at 805 Clay Road, Mableton, GA 30126
- Field Trip to the Tellus Science Museum - Monday, December 14, 2015 from 9:45 a.m. to 12 noon. RSVP is required: http://goo.gl/forms/ZC01PoC0YT
Additional Activity Idea
- Saturday, November 14, 2015 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m, Solar Sky Watch at the Tellus Museum
- Members: FREE, Non-Members: Regular Admission
- With the special filters on our solar telescope in the Observatory, you can safely view the Sun and look for sunspots and loops of hot hydrogen gas called prominences that extend off the disc of the Sun.
- Check their home page http://tellusmuseum.org/ on the day of the event for cancellations due to cloudy skies or inclement weather.
Thursday, October 15, 2015
It's that time again!
According to the GDOE : "Students in home study programs shall be subject to an appropriate nationally standardized testing program administered in consultation with a person trained in the administration and interpretation of norm referenced tests. The student must be evaluated at least every three years beginning at the end of the third grade. Records of such tests shall be retained."
The deadline to register to take the IOWA or Standford 10 with the South Cobb Homeschoolers for the FALL administration is October 15, however, it will be extended to October 16. For more information go to http://schomeschoolers.blogspot.com/p/standardized-test-administration.html .
To register you must contact Andrea Hall at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 404-644-8391 by October 15 (extended to October 16 before 3 p.m.) for the Fall Administration and April 10 (midnight) for the Spring Administration.
Wednesday, September 23, 2015
A Story Time ExclusiveTuesday, October 27, 2015 from 6:00 p.m. to 7:45 p.m.
Powder Springs Library4181 Atlanta Street, Bldg. 1, Powder Springs, GA 30127
South Cobb Homeschoolers presents a story time exclusive. Author Damon Hall will read his book Where Do Flies Go When It Rains? to children at the Powder Springs Library on Tuesday, October 27, 2015. This event is FREE and we invite ALL families to attend.
This event will feature the following:
* Arts & Crafts Activity
* Light Refreshments
* Meet the Author
Monday, September 21, 2015
Brewton-Parker College in Mount Vernon, Georgia. BPC is a small, Christian college located in Southeast Georgia.
We are extending invitations to home school groups across Georgia for our Discovery Day which is on October 6th.
Registration can be completed online at http://bpc.edu/admissions/discoverday/